Friday, October 23, 2009

"Build Your Own Board Bright" by: Keith Vallis and Peter Williamson

Traditional whiteboards are beginning to have some competition in the classroom. Who or what is this new technology you might be asking yourself? Well it is called Brightboards, and it is the latest technology in interactive whiteboards for the classroom. These bightboards hold student's attention better than any old blackboard ever could! They solve the problem of having only one classroom computer for 30 students by projecting the image on any wall. Also, it makes the lesson more fun for both the teacher and students. These interactive whiteboards are becoming so popular that very student is expecting to have them in their classroom. In other countries, school districts are mandating that every school has these whiteboards. The teachers who do not have these boards are feeling as if they are on the cyberhighway off-ramp in some cases. What is a brightboard and how does it work? A brightboard is an interactive portable writing tablet that lets the teacher and students work together via Bluetooth or any wireless program. To use brightboards, any computer can connect to a projector, and any software can be projected on the wall. A Bluetooth enabled pen tablet and a wireless keyboard are all you need to have yourself a interactive brightboard! Multiple pen tablets and keyboards can work at the same time in a classroom. So no more fighting over who will have the whiteboard next. Some programs that are available for these brightboards are Inspiration, Web 2.0, Google Earth, Google Sketchup, Geometer's Sketchpad, Pinter VirtualLab series, and Poly (a 3D geometric shape tool). With these whiteboards they will make notes available to students, the pen tablets can save and transmit handwritten notes using a software called Skrbl for students to take home and review for a quiz or test that will be given. Another bonus that comes with these brightboards is that you do not need a projector screen, all you have to do is paint a wall white and the image will go on the wall. Also, this image can be as large as the wall and projector will allow. The best age group that will benefit from these brightboards is middle school or high school students. They are old enough to get the full experience and understand how these brightboards work. Of course elementary school age children can work with these brightboards as well, but a whiteboard model might be better for their learning development. These brightboards will change the future of how teachers teacher and students learn in the classroom.

I am in love with this idea of interactive whiteboards!! I saw this article and said to myself, "WOW!!! It is about time that someone thought of this idea of interactive whiteboards!" I am so amazed that the companies who are putting this product out has thought about everything that goes on in a classroom and has incorporated it into a small portable device. I will defiantly want to get this set up for my classroom and for my school. I know that elementary students can really benefit from this type of technology, and learn a lot. Reading this article had given me so many ideas about how I could use the brightboards in my classroom, that I am so excited to try out once I have my own class. What a great idea to have and share throughout the world!!!

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa,
    In elementary school we only used the traditional chalkboards and I remember one of the classroom jobs was "eraser cleaner" (yes, I'm old!) I thought it was amazing when whiteboards were installed in my kids' classrooms but not with the new brightboards, technology has really gone over the top. I love the idea and all that it can mean, especially in upper grades. The only issue I would have is cost but I am definately all for this technology. As you said, it is of high interest to students and keeps them engaged in learning if they are able to contribute to a presentation or class discussion using the brightboard.

    ReplyDelete